Tuesday 6 March 2012

Crocodiles!

My Dad has this great saying, which seems to apply to any number of situations:

‘When you’re up to your arse in crocodiles, it’s difficult to remember that the original idea was to drain the swamp’.

I freely admit that my butt is feeling a little snapped at just now!  I put this down to two things:
1)      The fear of the unknown which is manifesting itself in my terror that I will actually have to use my recent first aid training during the pilot scheme!
2)      The rather more realistic reminder that being a full time Mum with a part time job is a very tricky juggle – not sure how I managed to forget that!

So here I am, blogging to remind myself of the ‘original idea’………….

We, the families of this side of the glorious borough of Haringey, do care about what we eat and are tired of having to schlep to Crouch End to get a kiddy friendly, healthy lunch.  We also don’t want to spend a fortune for the privilege.  Yes, that’s it, that’s the reason.

Throughout this pilot and beyond, Renee and I are setting out to create the kind of place that we would want to share lunch with our families and friends, eating healthy, reasonably priced food.  Now that I think about it, I really believe that Friday was the first step towards this dream becoming a reality.  There was a fun, friendly atmosphere; kids were playing, good food was eaten and enjoyed.

Naturally we are eager to fulfil our agreement with Fareshare and use food rejected by supermarkets to create our dishes, thus reducing waste and promoting seasonal eating.  It is all part of the dream, but sadly this will not be possible until we open our doors on a more permanent basis.  Yet, reflecting on it all, I am reminded that this is possible and the pieces of our seemingly unmanageable jigsaw are already beginning to fit together.  It’s good to remember who we are and why.  Ok, now I feel excited, so the crocodiles can get lost! 

We are still taking bookings for March 9th, 16th and 23rd if anyone is interested.  We are at Terront Road Salvation Army Hall, N15, doors open at 11.30, food served from 12 – 2.
Here’s what we will be serving:
March 9th: Healthy turkey burgers with Turkish bread and roasted vegetables or feta and courgette patties with Turkish bread and roasted vegetables.  Fudge cookies for dessert.

March 16th: Butternut squash risotto with or without bacon, served with salad or green veg.  Cranberry muffins for dessert.

March 23rd: Chicken casserole with bulgur wheat pilaf or tandoori tofu skewers.
Sponge pudding and custard for dessert.

We would love to see you there.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds a great idea - how do I keep in touch/maybe make a booking come April?

    ReplyDelete