Tuesday 25 September 2012

Our life is not a movie, or maybe


In the future, when some cool indie company decide to make a film about the early days of Filling the Gap N15, the scenes depicting this week will definitely be a high speed montage.  It will show Renee and I looking tired, but determined as we leaflet, bake, promote, email, blog, cook some more, do PR , recover from the Harvest Festival and juggle family, life and general autumn coldiness to an upbeat guitar-based rock song which conveys that we are exhausted, but understand that there is merit to our grafting.  I am thinking something along the lines of ‘Times Like These’ by the Foo Fighters or ‘Hold On’ by Alabama Shakes to keep it contemporary!  I wonder if Kristen Stewart will be prepared to go blonde to play me?  Even her recent cheating nastiness hasn’t quite spoilt my giant girl crush on her, or on Bella anyway!  Maybe Emilie de Ravin? Am sure she could handle my accent!  Ellen Page would be a perfect Renee; petit, pretty and sarcastic. This is not a cuss, I adore sarcasm.  Delivering 500 leaflets has given me a little bit of time to daydream, can you tell?

The City Harvest Festival was a fantastic experience.  It must have been the official last day of summer; he sun shone, the people were friendly and the animals were beautiful.  We sold out of everything! 100 sausages in wraps, 122 portions of cake and innumerable teas, coffees and cups of juice!  It was fabulous; exhausting but fabulous.  Now that it is done, we are focusing all of our thoughts on Friday and the re-opening.  Party plans are still very much in the pipeline for when funding is secured, but for now it is full steam ahead with the help of the wonderful Fareshare. 

If felt like Christmas morning last Wednesday afternoon as Renee and I unloaded the crates of goodies.  We both found it hard to believe that any supermarket in its right mind would reject any of the perfectly lovely produce that we now have squirreled away for Friday.  Based on this delivery, we are pleased to announce that Friday’s menu will be:

Main: Sausage, chorizo and bean stew with flatbread and couscous.
Dessert: Sweetshop cake or butternut squash muffins.

The more I think about it, the more excited I get.  I cannot wait to get the tablecloths out, don my apron and throw open the doors.  There has been so much necessary pen pushing and hoop jumping, that it will be great to get my hands dirty again.  Serving food and creating a community space is what we set out to do, after all.  We hope you will be able to join us.  Future box office smash or not, this is what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. haha ! brilliant ! Cant wait to see the film... I think we need a book first .. Kate ?

    ReplyDelete