Monday 22 October 2012

Lessons learned and life savers.


‘I can handle it’, ‘No really, I’m ok, honestly’, ‘Don’t worry, thanks, I have it covered’.  Any and all of these phrases are likely to be the reply you receive if you commit the heinous crime of offering me help!  I like to think of it as being hard working and independent, but the truth of it is that I am a stubborn control freak!  But even the extremely uptight must learn their lessons, as I did last Friday.

To put my level of neurosis into perspective, a very dear friend of mine, Chris, who did teacher training with me, used to call me Ally McBeal and it certainly wasn’t due to my waist size.  Having been my friend and worked with me for a while now, Renee knows that there is little point trying to convince me to accept help when I have set my mind to an independent, crazy crusade.  Such was the case on Friday morning.  Jenai’s lovely littlun was poorly, so she was unable to join us.  The week before having been quiet, I decided that one person in the dining room was ample.  Oh how wrong I was!

The lure of delicious steak or halloumi fajitas in a cosy neighbourhood café on a chilly day brought us a wonderful crowd of lovely customers.  Opps.  No amount of stubborn independence was going to get everyone served in way they each deserved.  I began to feel regret and nausea crashing in tsunami sized waves in my stomach.  Renee and I have put so much into Filling the Gap N15 and here was I about to ruin us by being too pig-headed to accept help.  We have both always been desperate for everyone to leave the café feeling that they have had positive, enjoyable experience.  My choice put this in danger; a long wait with a hungry child isn’t anyone’s idea of fun.  Fortunately, Renee’s superwoman powers never take a day off.  Unbeknownst to be she had lined her fabulous mum and sister, Josie and Louise, to help out in the dining room.  They more than stepped up and saved that day.  Renee’s is truly a family full of wonder women and I am eternally grateful to them all; for patience, planning and provision.

So, like a child given just enough rope to begin panicking, but saved from disaster by those who are wiser, more mature and not necessarily older, I have learned my lesson.  It was a successful service and we completely sold out of food. 

We will have to make more of whatever is on the menu this week, will let you know when we hear what wonders Fareshare have in store for us.

On Friday November 2nd, Filling the Gap N15 will be closed for half term hols.  We’ll be back the following Friday and gearing up for the opening party.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Cheap Eats In London Map,
    maybe of use to your customers.

    http://bit.ly/Hu3ToS

    Is your N15 listing OK ?

    Phil

    ReplyDelete